4.06.2011

Knock knock...

Come on in!  The door is open!

As a start to our blog, we'd like to share a door project with you to welcome you in!


We scored this farmhouse door on Craigslist for $10.  It was from a farmhouse that was more than 100 years old.  We chose this door for it's unique two panel style and thought it would look great mounted horizontally as a headboard in our guest room.  The size of the recessed panels allowed for the door to be trimmed to fit a queen sized bed just right.

We also loved the rustic look of the old keyhole and decided to mount the door with the keyhole at the top to give it more character.


When we first started working on it we thought we would strip it to bare wood and antique it, but soon found layer upon layer of paint.  Once we started removing the layers of paint we discovered color tones that went well with the color scheme we had selected for the room. We revealed pale yellow and brown tones. We liked the look so much that we decided to stop there and begin the final coat. To finish the piece, we used a water based satin semi-gloss polyurethane.  After the finish was complete, we mounted the headboard on the wall with a simple French cleat that we made out of a 1"x4" poplar board.


Randy & Angie




9 comments:

  1. I love this

    http://marriedfoodie-cynthiameza.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! Can I ask where your pillowcases are from. Love the pattern and colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amanda,
    My mom made the pillow cases for me using fabric from the Amy Butler line of fabric - Lotus Morning Glory Linen and Lotus Cherry Red Wall Flower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing! I love it! Those fabrics are beautiful.
    I am a new follower:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful. Great job & congrats on your new blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE that!!!! :) great idea! Come by & sign up for my continual giveaway...this week a $100 giveaway! And a few of my recent posts about furniture and bird cages...and a hilarious story about me! ;) Meme

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful! I'm going to be on the lookout for an old door now, as I've been wanting a good diy headboard for awhile. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this idea, but I sincerely wish you would add more pictures of the mounting technique. Steop-by-step would be tremendously for the technically-challenged like me. Also - do you know if the same could be done for a king-size bed? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...