Take a load off

Spring is finally here! Now that the weather is finally getting nice, it's time to start enjoying some outside time! My father-in-law wanted to add some seating to his newly installed paver patio so we created this great bench together. He is a wood worker so he took on the top while I created the concrete bases.

He crafted the top out of cedar 2x4s. To add to the appearence, he gave the ends of the bench a slight taper. He consealed the hardware with some nice wood plugs and sealed the wood. The bench is really a simple 3 piece design. The wood top slips over the concrete ends and securely rests on them.

I used a high strength charcoal colored concrete mix for the ends. The dark grey color really compliment the tone of the cedar wood. To give the bases more of a gloss finish, I high polished them and finished them off with bee's wax. The high strength concrete will last for years to come.

The design allowed for the concrete to show through the wood top. For this section, I decided to feature an oak leaf. The leaf was imbedded in the mold minutes before I did the pour. The amount of detail in the leaf came out amazing. It was a simple design detail that had a lot of impact. I've done a number of benches now and this one is one of my favorites.



Rub a dub dub!

It was time to rid ourselves of the builder grade laundry room so we decide to gut the room and make it our own!

We don't have a "before" picture, but imagine a room filled with cheap linoleum, this utility sink and builder grade appliances...the washer loved to start and stop on it's own!
We are lucky enough to have a family member that works at Bosch who was able to get us a great deal on a new front load washer and dryer.  Surprisingly, the appliances helped shape the design of the room!  We liked the satin gray color and the curvature of the doors.  They were also stackable units that gave us more space for cabinetry and a counter top for folding. We previously just had the wash tub and the side by side appliances.

We replaced the linoleum with a 6x6 porcelain tile from Home Depot.  Then we installed a few "off the shelf" cabinets from Lowe's and added some curved pulls from Home Depot.

Next we needed a counter top. Randy has been working with decorative concrete for a couple years so a concrete counter top was an easy choice. In designing the counter top we thought grey would look nice to tie in with the appliances and it would contrast well with a white subway tile...we've always wanted to use subway tile somewhere! We used a sand mix for the counter in two inch thickness to make it stand out. We also thought it might be fun to allow this top to be more natural looking so we polished it out to only a satin finish and left the air bubbles in the edge unfilled. A penetrating sealer was used and we finished it off with a good coat of wax. It makes for a perfect folding surface! For the sink we went round and stainless (picked up on eBay) to match the round doors on the appliances.

The tall Kohler faucet was also an eBay deal....it didn't work out so well for a car dealership that sold it to us but it worked out great for us. Tall faucets with shallow sinks apparently splash a lot. :) It was actually one of our better finds, we picked it up for $60, it was nearly a $300 faucet.

It all tied together nicely and we even found a nice matching mirror. We finished off the room with a few Ikea touches. It is one of the smaller rooms in our house but it is now one of our favorites. :)



Knock knock...

Come on in!  The door is open!

As a start to our blog, we'd like to share a door project with you to welcome you in!

We scored this farmhouse door on Craigslist for $10.  It was from a farmhouse that was more than 100 years old.  We chose this door for it's unique two panel style and thought it would look great mounted horizontally as a headboard in our guest room.  The size of the recessed panels allowed for the door to be trimmed to fit a queen sized bed just right.

We also loved the rustic look of the old keyhole and decided to mount the door with the keyhole at the top to give it more character.

When we first started working on it we thought we would strip it to bare wood and antique it, but soon found layer upon layer of paint.  Once we started removing the layers of paint we discovered color tones that went well with the color scheme we had selected for the room. We revealed pale yellow and brown tones. We liked the look so much that we decided to stop there and begin the final coat. To finish the piece, we used a water based satin semi-gloss polyurethane.  After the finish was complete, we mounted the headboard on the wall with a simple French cleat that we made out of a 1"x4" poplar board.

Randy & Angie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...